Land Park Criterium
William Land Park, Sacramento
16 March 2013
The Vanderkitten team executed some lovely racing today to see Ruth Winder win the race for Women 1/2/3 at the Land Park Criterium. The field was all back together the last time through the final chicane. Winder then won the field sprint for first with a gap that even surprised the Vanderkitten racer.
“I didn’t realize how big the gap was until I crossed the line,” said Winder, “Coming into the last lap I was feeling really good so it was just important to stay well positioned. My team mate Elle [Anderson] came up alongside of me and she just took me to the line perfectly.”
From the start of the race, Vanderkitten riders were seen populating the front of the field, reacting to charges by other racers, and putting in their own attacks. It wasn’t all Vanderkitten, however, as Rikke Preisler (Metromint Cycling) charged early, making an animated attack going into the second dog-ear at the top of a mostly oval, 1-mile course.
At two-to-go, Claire Morgan (Folsom Bike/Cervelo) and Maura Kinsella (NOW and Novartis for MS) led the race across the line for start-finish.
Preisler lead the field again, this time on the penultimate lap along with Liza Rachetto (Vanderkitten); the pair had a 10-second lead crossing start-finish.
With all efforts put in by the various riders to get away, it was a nascent wind that kept the racing close. “You definitely felt it when you were on the outside of the pack,” continued Winder, “but the last couple of laps I could tell that no break was going to stick. We were trying and trying and nothing was going. So at five laps to go, I just tucked myself in to prepare for the sprint. We were working in groups and I defintiely threw in a couple of attacks out there but, yeah, if it came down to a sprint I was [the designated rider].”
Kinsella swept past Anderson on the final bend to finish in second place; she also received the award for most aggressive rider. Anderson herself took the third step of the podium with Jane Robertson (Metromint Cycling) a couple of bike-lengths back in fourth. Amy Chandos (Folsom Bike) rounded out the top five.
In the Men’s Pro/1/2 race, the field stayed intact with the exception of a small breakaway mid-race. Max Jenkins (5-hour Energy p/b Kenda) spent a good couple of laps up front. Team Mike’s Bikes riders could be seen scattered throughout the pack as the race progressed.
Then, at the end, a Team Mike’s Bike lead out train brought around James LaBerge for the win. Eric Riggs, who had spent almost the entire race at the back of the field, led the Mike’s Bikes riders into the final chicane. Last year’s NorCal stalwart Chuck Hutcheson (Marc Pro-Strava) finished the sprint just over a bike’s length back in second. Joshua Carling (Team Bicycles Plus/Sierra Nevada) grabbed third place.
Results for Women 1/2/3
1. Ruth Winder (Vanderkitten)
2. Maura Kinsella (NOW and Novartis for MS)
3. Elle Anderson (Vanderkitten)
4. Jane Robertson (Metromint Cycling)
5. Amy Chandos (Folsom Bike)
6. Claire Morgan (Folsom Bike/Cervelo)
7. Johanna Trueblood (RED Racing)
8. Laura Charameda (Team Swift)
9. Strla Teddergrenn (Vanderkitten)
10. Marissa Axell (Fremont Bank Cycling Team)
11. Cristina Hughes
Results for Men P/1/2
1. James LaBerge (Team Mikes Bikes p/b Incase)
2. Charles Hutcheson (Marc Pro – Strava)
3. Joshua Carling (Team Bicycles Plus/Sierra Nevada)
4. Matt Chatlaong (Folsom Bike/VW/Raley’s)
5. Daniel Holloway (Team Mike’s Bikes p/b Incase)
6. Dean LaBerge (PrimeTime Cycling Team)
7. Paul Morris (Team Clif Bar Cycling)
8. Willie Myers (Fremont Bank Cycling Team)
9. John Novikoff (Leadoutracing.com)
10. Rainier Schaefer (Team Mike’s Bikes p/b Incase)
11. Aaron Snovel (Folsom Bike/VW/Raley’s)
Powered by Facebook Comments