The Giro Rosa, the biggest stage race currently held for the women’s peloton, kicks off on Friday the 4th of July. The favorite for the 10-day tour is former Webcor rider, and last year’s champion, Mara Abbott. Abbott will be riding for the United Healthcare squad, which is one of two American trade teams entered in this years race. With twelve Americans currently scheduled to compete in the 25th edition of the Giro, the 4th of July start appears to be a particularly good omen. Can anybody beat Alison Powers in a TT this year? I’d be surprised.
Jen See, a frequent contributor to Bicycling, Velo, and several other cycling publications, took some time to speak with the NCCN Podcast host Ted burns about the 25th edition of the Giro Rosa. See will be covering the Giro Rosa for Bicycling Magazine, and recently published a feature article for Bicycling on perennial favorite Marianne Vos. If you are interested in women’s cycling, or the Giro Rosa, this edition of the NCCN Primetime Podcast will be right up your alley. See below for list of relevant links discussed in the podcast, and a list of U.S/NorCal women participating in this years Giro.
For NorCal fans the list of locals who are in this years Giro is pretty long. There are a couple of notables who will be interesting to watch.
- Katie Hall – Hall earned her ride with a gutsy break at U.S nationals which helped set up a victory for team leader Allison Powers. Hall can climb, and will likely be helping Abbott in the mountains.
- Shelley Olds – Olds had a strong early season and should be in the hunt for stages at the Giro.
- Megan Guarnier – When Vos fell apart in the mountains last year Guarnier pretty much dragged her up the hills single handedly. Boels doesn’t have a clear GC leader, so if she’s unshackled from team responsibilities Guarnier will be contender for the podium.
- Winder & Wiles – These two women are going places. Winder and Wiles will be in support roles for their teams, but they’ve both stepped up a notch this season. Look for them to be getting into breaks and putting their noses into the wind in support of their GC leaders.
- HALL Katie
- WINDER Ruth
- OLDS Shelley
- GUARNIER Megan
- STEVENS Evelyn
- WILES Tayler
- ABBOTT Mara
- POWERS Alison
- RIVERA Coryn
- WILBORNE Scotti
- STACHER Ally
- SMALL Carmen
- ROWNEY Loren
- TAYLOR Carlee
- COLLINS Emily
- Giro Rosa Official Website
- Jen See on Twitter
- Bicycling: I am Mariann Vos by Jen See
- Bicycling: Stages of the 2014 Giro Rosa by Jen See
Powered by Facebook Comments